Work experience is an opportunity for students to gain a valuable insight into your organisation by carrying out tasks and duties more or less as an employee. Quality work experience has become increasingly vital for young adults to enter the highly competitive labour market. Your involvement could be crucial to a student’s future career prospects.
The unpaid placement will be for an agreed time period and structure; however the structure is flexible to ensure you and the student benefit from the process.
Work experience is important to the economic development and promotes employers contribution within the local community.
As an employer you may acquire benefits such as:
- fresh ideas and concepts from a young adult’s perspective;
- a chance to meet, obtain and inspire potential future employees;
- existing employees may expand their skills and support their own professional development.
A student may acquire benefits such as:
- realistic work experience placements which complement their studies;
- a supportive transition into the world of work;
- the opportunity to practice and fine tune skills and knowledge;
- networking with employers about future opportunities;
- the ability to gain a reference from an employer based on their experience.
How can I get involved and what are the expectations?
If you are interested in providing a work experience opportunity, please contact us to register your interest. You will be expected to provide some initial details and you will receive a statutory health and safety assessment.
The students will be given a work experience logbook; the aim is to support reflection on their experience with you. We would appreciate your support and encouragement with its completion.
How can we support you?
Stratford-upon-Avon College can support you and your organisation with work experience placements through providing:
- work experience coordination and support;
- ensuring students are well briefed before they enter the workplace;
- support for any issues as they arise.